I am Associate Professor of Practice at the Center for Learning & Teaching at the American University in Cairo (AUC). I am a full-time faculty developer and I also teach creative educational game design to undergrads (I used to also teach ed tech to teachers but haven’t done so for a few semesters now).
I’m co-founder & co-director of virtuallyconnecting.org, co-founder & co-facilitator of Edcontexts, , editor at my favorite journal, Hybrid Pedagogy and blogger at Prof Hacker, DML Central and I write a lot for Al-Fanar Media. I am also International Director of Digital Pedagogy Lab.
I have a PhD in Education from the University of Sheffield in the UK, and believe very strongly in critical/interpretive approaches to social research, especially participatory approaches such as collaborative autoethnography.
My research interests are quite diverse and include (links go to publications):
- Higher education, faculty development (I am on the editorial board of Teaching in Higher Education and the Journal of Pedagogic Development)
- Critical thinking, critical pedagogy, critical citizenship
- eLearning, educational technology, MOOCs (I’m an editor at Hybrid Pedagogy, Learning, Media and Technology, and Online Learning Journal; I was on the Steering Committee of the 2015 Emerging Technologies for Online Learning conference and the #ALTC 2016 conference)
- Intercultural learning, community-based learning
- Openness in Education (I was invited to keynote the OER17 conference)
All of my publications are here
In case you’re wondering, here’s how you pronounce my name.